I am a moderator for a Shelfari Book Club called “Around the World“.
What our group has in common is my Monthly Challenges that I create for the group. So using my blog here, I shall share these challenges with others.
The Unknown Horrors of October Challenge
We did some searching. We took some vote. Now here is a list of movies that were based on books. Some we didn’t know was a book, or even both book and movie. Here are their categories.
The Unknown Horrors of October
Books to Read Goal: #?
Books Read: 0
Categories Completed: 0
01. Hellraiser (1987 British Horror film; sequels). Book: The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (1986)
Read a book that you think you might like. Tells us if it brought you pleasure in reading it. Or, like the characters in the movie, did it bring horror and pain?
02. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962 American psychological thriller). Book: same title by Henry Farrell (1960)
Read a Psychological Thriller Book
OR Read a book with characters that are sisters.
03. Killdozer! (1974 science-fiction horror tv film takes place in Africa). Book: 1944 novella by Theodore Sturgeon
Read a book where the character travels to a Country that isn’t where they’re from (Construction workers travel to Africa)
OR Read a Science Fiction book.
04. Salem’s Lot (1979 Horror and other made for tv films). Book: same title by Stephen King (1975)
Read a book with some sort of Supernatural Being (Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Ghosts, Elves, or etc…)
OR Read a book that is set in a Small Town.
05. Candyman (1992 American horror film; sequels). Book: The Forbidden by Clive Barker (short story in Books of Blood 1985)
Read a book with some Urban Legends (or just Legends, Myths, etc)
OR Read a book with a characters that is attending some school (as the main character in the film is a College student).
06. The Crimson Rivers (2000 French psychological crime film). Book: Blood Red Rivers (renamed Crimson Rivers) (French: Les Rivières pourpres) by Jean-Christophe Grangé (1999)
Read a something French with the setting, character, language or author.
OR Read a Crime Fiction or Mystery book.
07. Night at the Museum (2006 American fantasy adventure-comedy film). Book: same name, 1993, is a children’s picture book written and illustrated by Milan Trenc.
Read a book that has some Historical Facts (Historical Fiction sometimes stays true to History)
OR Read a Fantasy, or Adventure book.
08. Oldboy (2003 South Korean mystery thriller neo-noir film). Book: Old Boy (manga) by Garon Tsuchiya
Read a book that is translated or the author is not from your Country.
OR (For this category only!) Read some Mangas or Graphic Novels. And read a good number of them to equal 100 pages.
09. The Haunting (1963 British psychological horror film). Book: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959). The Haunting was considered the most frightening films ever made.
Read a Horror Book (of some sort or other) and tells us if the book scared you or not.
OR Read a British Literature book.
10. The Innocents (1961 British supernatural Gothic horror film ). Book: Henry James’s novel “The Turn of the Screw”
Read a book with children in the story somehow. Are they possessed like these kids?
OR Read a Gothic book.
It’s time to go Back to the Future. Read a book written in 1980s or is set in the 80s.
OR a Futuristic book.
OR If you really want to “go back in time”… Read a Time Travel book.