I was nominated for a Siblinghood of the World Blogger Award by Nicole @a little bookish, a little writerly. My first nomination. 🙂 So thank you Nicole. You’ve made my day. Her questions for this was fun and a little hard for me. This took me longer to finish than I expected…
~ Thank the blogger who nominated you, and provide a link back to their site
~ Answer the ten questions sent to you
~ Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer
~ Nominate ten blogs
Nicole’s 10 questions for me:
1. What are some of the common tropes in these books that you are tired of seeing? What are some that you absolutely will never get tired of seeing?
Lately, the characters I like reading are strong independent women (and very sometimes men too). I have been pretty picky about the characters that I like now. I wasn’t like that 10 years ago. And even more pickier about the Tropes that the author uses in their stories.
The tropes that I like are strong women types, retelling of fairytales or a classic book (because if I have to read a unoriginal book, then I would much rather read something with a plot I know I like), friends to lovers (unless it’s also instalove and an unrequited one) and maybe the cowboy or military type (as long as he’s not an overbearing Alpha. In fact I prefer the guy that’s in between alpha and beta).
And as for those tropes that I just cannot stand… well I was actually going to make a post for one of them because I think I found the perfect book that made it more realistic… The Billionaires and Millionaires and just flat filthy rich men (and very seldom there’s a heiress, but she still needs a man in her life so she can be rich apparently). I can go on about that, but I’ll save it for later.
And then there’s instalove (love at first sight).
And the weak or Too-Stupid-to-Live (TSTL) heroines. They get on my nerves. And sometimes they remind me of the Woo Girls in a How I Met Your Mother episode. And any other TSTL women that had sex with Barney Stenson. Which explains why Barney is running out the door in this clip… to get to the bar where the Woo Girls are.
2. There is a new law coming into effect. It bans (insert genre here) genre from ever being read/written again. Which genre would you choose?
I don’t like banning art. So I couldn’t even pick a genre to ban. That’s silencing a person’s voice. And I couldn’t do that.
3. Books have some of the most wonderful quotes among them. Which is one of your favorite quotes, and why does it resonate with you?
Just one quote?! You’re killing me Smalls! Alright I’ll go with a quote from something that I’ve recently read then – Girl Before a Mirror by Liza Palmer. The quote is good and so true with me. And it also refers to a Super Hero (SuperGirl is my favorite).
4. What is a book you had such high hopes for but ultimately disappointed you?
I try not to put so much expectations to the books I read, but in the cases of these, I think I was duped.
The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts is my first Roberts book that I didn’t finish reading. Stopped after the second chapter.
Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts is the 3rd book in the series. I read the 2nd book first and gave it 4 stars. And then book 1 was 3 stars. And then Savor the Moment was not great. I gave that 2 stars.
A Wekend with Mr Darcy by Victoria Connelly is the first book in the Austen Addicts series. I liked two other books in the series. This book I just couldn’t finish reading.
The Trouble With Valentine’s Day by Rachel Gibson is my the 3rd book in the Chinooks Hockey Team series. I’ve read the 2nd and 4th book and liked them. And I do like Rachel Gibson. But this book was just bad.
5. Your favorite author is going to call you for a once in a lifetime chance to talk. You can only ask them one question. Who is the author and what is the question? Why?
I have a lot of favorite authors, so this was a tough one. The first one that popped in my head when I read the question was Sophie Kinsella, so I’ll go with that.
The question: Why in God’s name did you let Hollywood destroy the Shopaholic series with that God-awful movie?!?! Why?!?!!!!!!
6. Pick one of your favorite books, and construct a playlist for it. Try to choose between 5-8 songs that fit the theme and tone of this book.
Picking 1 favorite book would be too difficult for me, so I’m picking a book that I’m currently reading – which is Macbeth by William Shakespeare.
6.01. Double Trouble by John Williams from the Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Askaban movie. This is of course for the scene in Act 4, Scene 1: Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
6.02. I Am by AWOLNATION because Macbeth has started to realize his potential thanks to some witches. Ooh! Someone left the lights on.
6.03. Kings and Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars. Macbeth becomes King of Scotland.
6.04. Conscience Killer by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Macbeth has a very guilty conscience.
6.05. Mess of Me by Switchfoot. Macbeth becomes paranoid.
6.06. Barton Hallow by The Civil Wars. SPOILER – Macbeth dies and probably won’t go to Heaven.
7. What book/series do you believe is highly overrated?Underrated?
Overrated: I think the Divergent series is a little bit overrated. I’m not rushing to read the books 2 and 3, let alone all those e-shorts. And I read Divergent (book 1) in April 2013. I liked the first movie, but again, I am not in a rush to watch the other movie.
Underrated: The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo is not underrated but it isn’t as popular as I think it should be. I loved this book!
8. What is a theme/motif that you love reading about?
I’m a hopeless romantic, so I read mostly romance or love stories. But I do mix it up with other stuff, fantasy, sci-fi and just general fiction.
9. Pick three characters from your favorite book and play the F*ck, Marry, Kill game.
Austenland by Shannon Hale I’ve read this 3 times and have seen the movie 4 times. Martin of Sheffield I would kiss but nothing more. Mr. William Nobley I would marry in a heartbeat. Mrs. Wattlesbrook is someone that I wouldn’t kill, but I would definitely make sure she never worked at the resort or anywhere else for that matter. So I guess, I would kill her career.
10. If you could have one fictional animal as a pet, what would it be?
My 10 Questions for the bloggers that I nominated:
01. Pick one of your favorite books, and construct a playlist for it. Try to choose between 5-8 songs that fit the theme and tone of this book.
02. Pick a favorite book and make a casting list for a movie. If the book was already made into a movie, still try to use actors that you think would best fit. Who’s the Director and Script Writer? With the top 5 characters of the book, who are the actors and what’s their roles?
03. What are some of the common tropes in these books that you are tired of seeing? What are some that you absolutely will never get tired of seeing?
04. Books have some of the most wonderful quotes among them. Which is one of your favorite quotes, and why does it resonate with you?
05. Lunch Date. What author would you like to go on a Lunch Date with? Where would you go to eat?
06. What is a book you had such high hopes for but ultimately disappointed you?
07. Pick 2 of your favorite authors for a book duo. What kind of book do you think it would be?
08. If you could live in one fictional world, where would you live?
09. Someone tells you that they’re trying to get into reading, but they have no idea where to start. When you ask them their genre preferences, they’re clueless. Give them a recommendation for: a fantasy, a contemporary, a classic and a genre of your choice.
10. Did you read any 2015 books? Which one would you recommend to others?
And for the blogger’s I nominate… I’m new to blogging and have just started scopping out the blogs on WordPress.com. So the people nominate will have some meaning to me or not. And it’s up to you nominees, if you want to do my questions.
01. Jen and Book Worm @The Reader’s Room. They got me blogging here. Thanks.
02. Alex @alextheshadowgirl gave me first like for my posts. I know you’ve already done one of these this week, so you don’t have to do this for me. Just saying thanks.
03. redheadedbooklover was one of my first followers. Thanks.
04. generaliregi thanks for following me when I first started blogging.
05. Eve @evemessenger Thanks for following me.
06. Valerie is one of the bloggers @unobtainium13. I like her movie reviews. Especially her Hallmark movie reviews. (btw Valerie, feel free to change my questions around that will best suit you, as I know you review movies and not books… changing books to movies, authors to directors, etc)
07. Stuart @storyshucker
09. dreambigdreamoften shared one of my posts (my first and only so far). Thanks.
10. BOOKLOVERBABBLES @ablessedbrownie