2015 Book-ademy Awards
I was tagged by Don’t Shush Me for this. She started a book tag and I thought it looked fun. Although I don’t think I’ll be listing one book per Book Awards like she did.
“I thought I’d start a fun book tag to round out the year. I’m doing a kind of “academy award” ceremony for the books I’ve read in 2015. If you do the tag, feel free to change the categories as you wish! The goal here is really to celebrate some our favorite reads of the year, and to act as a way of recommending these books to our fellow readers!
Please feel absolutely free to change the categories, but a link to (mine) is always most appreciated!”
~ Don’t Shush Me blogger
I was tagged back in September, and I do apologize for such a late reply to this tag. I was hoping to get some more books read for 2015, and I was really working hard at trying to achieve my 75 books a year goal (I was 6 books shy of achieving that goal). For 2016, I’m shooting for 70 books goal.
I’ve read 69 books last year, so choosing the best of was a little hard for me.
Best Book of 2015 I Read Award
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I really enjoyed that book. I watched the movie first, and I’ve lost count on how many times I’ve seen it, more than 6 times maybe. And I’ve listed the movie as #6 in My Tip Top 10 Favorite Movies. I thought I wrote a review for the book and movie, but I guess not. Guess I’ll just have to rewatch the movie and post my Movie vs Book review soon. Goodie!
Best of Debut Author
I thought that this Australian writer is funny. His writing is pretty good, and I just loved Don Tillman and all his quirks.
“Graeme Simsion is a former IT consultant and the author of two nonfiction books on database design who decided, at the age of fifty, to turn his hand to fiction. His first novel, The Rosie Project, was published in 2013 and translation rights have been sold in over thirty-five languages. Graeme lives in Australia with his wife, Anne, and their two children.”
~ Overdrive.com‘s bio of Graeme Simsion
I’ve read and loved both The Rosie Project (Immersion Reading with my kindle and iTunes audio) and The Rosie Effect (Immersion reading with my kindle/Netgalley ARC and Overdrive.com audio). Dan O’Grady did a pretty good job reading these books I thought.
Best of New-to-Me Author
- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness My second favorite book of 2015!
- By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain by Joe Hill Short novella, but still really good.
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.
Hero by Sarah Lean.
- Letters From Home by Kristina McMorris. A Music Soundtrack to the book I made while reading.
- The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin. My Review.
- Sneaky Pie for President (Mrs. Murphy Mystery) by Rita Mae Brown.
The Best From My Favorite Author
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (library audio read by Martin Freeman) – my favorite of the two books I read in 2015 (books 2 and 3 in the Hitchhiker series). My Review.
- Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella.
- Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen.
- As You Wish by Cary Elwes. My Review.
- Playing the Field (The Matchmaker Book 4) by Elise Sax. My Review.
- Bummer Summer by Ann M. Martin. My Review.
Best of The Classics
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. My Review.
- Emma by Jane Austen (kindle/ paper and iTunes audio).
Best of The Rereads
- Mockingjay (Hunger Games Series, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins. My Review of the book 1 of the Hunger Games.
- William Shakespeare’s Star Wars by Ian Doescher (library kindle/ audio book). My Review.
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne. My Review.
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling. My Review.
Best of Book vs Movies
- The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks. LOVE! The Book and movie. I’ll be doing a review soon for the movie. My Book review.
- Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern. LOVE the book and movie!!! My book review.
- The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger. My Book Review. The movie was funnier.
- Gidget by Frederick Kohner. Love the book and all the shows and movies.
- Sabotage Season (The Kicks Series, Book 2) by Alex Morgan. Alex Morgan the Olympic Soccer player’s book was good. Amazon has the tv series available.
- How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo. Love the book. Movie soon to be released in Theaters in 2016. Looking forward to seeing this.
Best of The Juicy Romances
- Girl Before a Mirror by Liza Palmer. My Review.
- Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.
- I Need a Hero by Emma Bennet.
- Here’s Looking At You by Mhairi McFarlane.
- Perfect Proposal by Katie Fforde. My Review.
- Millie’s Fling by Jill Mansell. My Review.
- Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie. My Review.
- Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis.
Best of THE WORST BOOKS!
It’s time to have some Oscar the Grouch Attitude here. The books that I really didn’t like reading from 2015 are…
The Worst Free Books Read
- A Little Bit Cupid by Jennifer Shirk (free and Netgalley ARC)
- The Playboy of Rome by Jennifer Faye (Library)
- The Wedding Dress Diaries (novella) by Aimee Carson (free ebook)
- Rodeo Rebel (novella) by Donna Alward (free ebook)
- 30 Lays in 30 Days by Kate J. Squires (Netgalley ARC)
The Worst Books by Authors I Sometimes Like
- The Next Best Thing (Gideon’s Cove: Book 2) by Kristan Higgins My Review
- Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie My Review with a Music Soundtrack.
The Worst Audiobook Readers Tie
#1 Carolyn McCormick
The WORST Audiobook Reader is Carolyn McCormick in Catching Fire (listened to in 2014) and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (listened to in March 2015).
I love the Hunger Games series! I’ve already reread this book about 3 times before listening to the audio books. I decided to reread the series again with some “Immersion Reading” (reading the book while listening to the audio book) before I watched the movie, Catching Fire.
I bought the iTunes Audio for Catching Fire back on October 21, 2013, and then listened to it while I read the book in 2014. It was horrid. I really didn’t like how Carolyn did the voices for the younger characters. And she CAN NOT SING! Really, Carolyn can not sing. She made all these songs that I loved in the book sound terrible! Thankfully I got this audio on iTunes on sale for $4 or so bucks I think. I wouldn’t have paid full price.
And then I thought about trying Carolyn again for the final book. So I borrowed the book through my library from Overdrive.com kindle app for the Mockingjay audio book. It was even worse than the other audio!!!!!!!!!!!! I just couldn’t stand her! I gave up with the audio and just read it through with the movie score soundtrack playlist (either with my own list or with the Pandora music app).
#2 Anna Fields
And the other WORST Audiobook Reader is Anna Fields in Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.
She really spoiled this romance book for me. She can not do accents, let alone a man’s accent! I purchased this audio through iTunes on April 19, 2015, and read this alone with the kindle edition I got through Overdrive.com library in May. Horrid Audiobook reader! I recommend just reading the book yourself. This book was just average. I preferred Susan’s book Heroes Are My Weakness.